Climbing Los Angeles One Step at a Time

Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Walk #19: Silver Lake Circles

Distance: 2.5 miles
Steps: 370
Difficulty: 3

"This is a short, sweet stroll around one of Silver Lake's quietest neighborhoods, featuring shaded staircases, fine Downtown views, and a glimpse of a former Raymond Chandler home." Taken from Secret Stairs by Charles Fleming

We felt emboldened after our morning walk (see prior post, Walk #18) and decided to tackle a second one after lunch at Cafe Tropical. This walk also took place in Silver Lake but on the other side of Sunset Blvd. After climbing the first staircase on Sunset I felt transported to a completely different place far removed from the bustling city just 90 steps away!

This one has 90 stairs and is accessed directly from Sunset Boulevard

An unusual house for Southern California

This next set of stairs was brutal. It was all of 5 steps!

A pedestrian pathway - Scott Avenue, which runs from Silver Lake all the way to Elysian Park

I suppose we should have felt exhausted after two walks covering five miles of hilly terrain in the sun but that was not the case. Neither of us complained and I think that was because we were really taking it all in and enjoying the new discoveries. I do Stairmaster as part of my cardio workout but this left me much more satisfied and I can't wait to plan the next one. We're doing them out of order as weather, proximity and our mood will dictate which one we choose on any given day but something tells me that the last one will end with an ocean walk.

I have to remember to bring sunblock and water in addition to a hat next time...

Feel free to join me as I discover hidden parts of Los Angeles and tackle the remaining 40 stair walks.

Steps walked to date: 1075

Follow me on Twitter: @ClimbingLA

1 comment:

  1. I love that Fleming included the little 5 step stairs in this one. Such a cool neighborhood that I'd never seen before and less than 5 minutes from Sunset Blvd.

    ReplyDelete